Physical therapists develop individualized therapeutic plans to restore the strength and function in injured joints and muscles. In most instances, massage is employed as a part of a persons daily treatment.
It can be administered by trained massage therapists – some of which are located within collingwood chiropractic clinics, or in standalone massage parlours.
Massage therapy has also shown various physical benefits. In addition to offering muscle relaxation and pain reduction, massage therapy is:
- An effective treatment option for low back pain, osteoarthritis and other musculoskeletal conditions. Massage therapists use their hands to manipulate joints and soft tissues for healing and rehabilitation purposes. Massage therapy may reduce swelling and provide pain relief. As an alternative to prescription drugs and physical therapy, massage has become the first choice of patients seeking non-surgical pain relief. The cost of physical therapy is often expensive, especially if a patient has to visit multiple clinics or hospitals.
- Helps relieve tension and stiffness. A recent study found that massage reduced the amount of knots and pain in the hand as well as decreased the inflammation of the carpal tunnel. This treatment reduces the risk of carpal tunnel syndrome, which is characterized by pain, numbness, tingling and motor difficulty. Patients who undergo this therapy experience significant improvement in their symptoms. Massage increased blood circulation to the hand, which promotes cell regeneration and increases the production of new cells and fibers.
- Helps maintain a healthy lower back and posture. Many physical therapists recommend cover massage therapy to patients with shoulder, neck and knee pain as a part of their pain relief program. Cover therapy provides relief from pain by penetrating superficial layers of connective tissue to provide deep tissue healing. This treatment improves posture and can help to prevent future injuries. Studies have shown that it helps to reduce shoulder blade joint pain and can reduce the risk of falling and sustaining a knee injury.
- Improves flexibility. A physically active lifestyle can cause muscles to become tight and dysfunctional. By receiving regular stretching and light exercise, a massage therapist can help alleviate the effects of chronic muscle stiffness by helping to restore normal range of motion. In some cases, regular stretching can stop pain completely.
- Increases blood circulation. Regular massage enhances blood circulation throughout the body. It stimulates lymph flow and reduces the accumulation of body waste products and cellular debris. Circulation increases the efficiency of waste removal by clearing out build-up in the tissues and reducing inflammation.
Click here for more information about.